Job title: Junior Consultant
Location: Flexible, with at least 2 days a week in London when Covid restrictions allow
Length of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension
Hours: We have a flexible working policy, based on a 37.5-hour week for a full-time employee and would be happy to discuss the flexible working needs of the successful candidate.
We are a social enterprise that helps charities influence policy so the people they support get the help they need. We are looking for an outstanding candidate to join our committed team helping charities to make a difference.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our motivated team, who are passionate about supporting charities to achieve their aims. You will develop your understanding and experience of policy development, lobbying, campaigns, and communications in a fast-paced professional environment.
This position offers the opportunity to gain experience of all aspects of work in a busy, dynamic organisation with the guidance and support of senior team members, working with some of the UK’s leading charities, and offers substantial opportunity for advancement within the team for the right candidate.
This role will focus on providing support to colleagues and clients working across a variety of policy areas.
Main responsibilities will include but not be restricted to:
- Researching and producing thorough, timely and accurate briefing documents and reports
- Working with colleagues to contribute to strategy planning
- Assisting with engagement with parliamentarians in Westminster and the devolved Parliaments
- Political, current affairs and social media monitoring to identify emerging issues and stories
- Social media operations
- Drafting letters and press releases
- Assisting with event organisation, both on and offline
- Some general administrative tasks, e.g. contact database management
The successful candidate will be working on a range of complex issues with an array of different organisations to make our client’s voices heard in Westminster and the devolved parliaments. You will therefore need to demonstrate you have the following experience, skills and qualities:
- Relevant recent work experience for at least three months in politics, policy, public affairs or a charity communications role
- A track record of being proactive and organising and planning their own work or working independently with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective working relationships with colleagues in a wide range of organisations
- A clear and demonstrable commitment to helping charities to achieve their goals
- An active interest in UK policy and politics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An understanding of parliamentary processes in the UK
- Ability to conduct comprehensive analysis of information to tight deadlines, ensuring accuracy and relevance
- Ability to understand a range of complex information quickly and work flexibly across a number of different policy areas
- A good understanding of and experience in using social media channels
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint)
We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds and particularly encourage applications from candidates from groups currently underrepresented in the charity sector, including people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds and people with disabilities.
Please send the following documents to Iona Casley at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Junior Consultant role” by midday on Mon 31st May 2021:
- Your CV
- Covering letter outlining why you are the ideal candidate for the role
After you have submitted an application you will receive a link to an anonymous monitoring survey. This is optional and not linked to your application but filling it in will help us make our recruitment process fairer.
If you have any questions or would like to have an informal discussion about the role, or what we do, please get in touch with Iona via email@example.com.
Closing date: Mon 31st May at midday
Interview date: Fri 11th June
Start date: ASAP, preferably by July